The History of ArtStart:
ArtStart is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, charitable organization.
Between 2009 and 2011, a group of community-minded citizens proposed the City of Rhinelander purchase the original Post Office building from the Federal Government and lease it to the organization, as a creative place-making project; to be transformed into a destination arts and cultural center.
The City of Rhinelander agreed and ArtStart was officially formed in 2011. ArtStart volunteers gathered and renovated the building into a modern space with two galleries, a children's art classroom or conference room, both an indoor and outdoor stage, and bar area. There are several office spaces in the ArtStart building which are leased to artists, music instructors, health coaches, foundations, and other nonprofit organizations.
Since 2011, ArtStart has been a staple in the downtown community hosting over 100 events annually and bringing culture and creative community development to the forefront of citizen minds.
To strengthen our community through arts education and cultural engagement.
To continue as a cornerstone for community arts engagement. As a highly distinctive cultural center, ArtStart provides a variety of exhibitions, programming and event activities which leverage art to engage community members in cultural, social, and economic development.
- ArtStart is first and foremost a community development project.
- Cultural values are intrinsic to the health of a progressive community and as such must be integrated into all phases of community planning.
- Cultural activities must be available to everyone, regardless of means
- Education is a means to help people identify assets, capacities, needs, resources, and solutions
- Civic involvement (or participation) is fundamental to improve the quality of community/neighborhood life
- Internal and external collaborations and partnerships are essential
- Information and knowledge are a basis for decisions
- To support and participate in the development of the Rhinelander community
- Maintain a highly-distinctive cultural organization as a cornerstone of the community
- Provide opportunity to view cutting edge artworks and present new trends in contemporary visual art
- Provide a forum to meet interesting people of shared interests
- Make program and events accessible to everyone
68 S. Stevens Street
Rhinelander, WI 54501
11am - 5pm Thursday - Saturday (Wednesday in the Summer)
Gallery tours available upon request